Resume - Frank Pullia CPA,CMA, MBA
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Certified Management Accountant
Designation, Consulting CMA
Bachelor of Administration
Per il Commercio, Nicastro, Italy
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS AND PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS
March 1995 to present
Provide accounting, business consulting and financial services to small and medium size businesses in Thunder Bay and region. Also serving non-profit organizations (including municipalities) and charities. Over thirty years of business experience in the fields of :
Accounting - Budgeting, Cost Control, Profit Management
Financial - Project Evaluation, Financial Proposals, Funding Applications, Business Solutions,
Consulting - Business Plans, Community Plans, Tourism and Marketing Plans, Project Management, Management Consulting, International Business, Business Expansions & Retention, Operational Reviews, Strategic Planning, and Economic Development
January 1998 to June 1999
Accomplishments: provided marketing and research, including consulting and advisory services to area companies interested, or having the potential to do business with the Upper US Midwest States. Assisted over 100 local companies in exploring business opportunities and negotiating business strategic alliances with US companies, while promoting foreign investment into Northwestern Ontario. Managed and greatly leveraged a staff of three in Thunder Bay and Minneapolis offices through a Bi-National collaborative effort.
Coordinated and hosted exporting, matchmaking, and inward investment seminars. Interacted with all levels of government and Consulates in both countries, and ensured that all community partners and US Associates were fully engaged. Kept the larger community informed through media releases, members associations’ newsletters, video productions, and TV appearances on community channels. Successfully managed and leveraged the project’s budget to achieve many first related project in Information Technology (First IT Consortium) and Biotechnology (First funded FedNor study in the region that led to the creation of a life science clustering concept).
November 2014-2018; November 2006-2010; November 2006-2010
Duties and Responsibilities: represented constituency at City Hall on all aspects of municipal government. Maintained services and infrastructure across the city at times of declining tax assessment and provincial transfer payments without increasing taxes. Worked in co-operation with city administration in reviewing all phases of the city’s operation, as well as labour unions in all areas of labour relations. Represented the city at the Northwestern Ontario Municipal Association during 1994/97 and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (member of Executive Board during 1996/97. Also served on the Transportation, Aboriginal and International Programs Committees).Accomplishments: from 2014-2018 was the Chair of Budgets and Finance and maintained tax increases at 2.5% during a period of major reduction in tax revenues (lost $23 million or 80% of the industrial tax base during 2013-2017) while maintaining (in many case increasing) investments in services and infrastructure. From 2006 to 2010 was the Chair of the Audit Committee (tax increases reduced from 7% in 2006 to 1.8% in 2010), Vice-Chair of the Administrative Services Committee (took leadership role in new Strategic plan, operational review, continuous improvement practices, cost controls, and line-by-line review of budget items) and Director on the Board of the Community Economic Development Commission (CEDC) were also took a leadership role in creating performance measures, and strategic plans.During this period the CEDC helped create over 1,000 jobs by attracting new companies like Tornado Inc. (MRI Research); MeaGlow (The Lakehead University Semiconductor Research lab.); Superior Propane (Administrative Services); Global Sticks (Value-Added Manufacturing); ActLab (Mining Services Company) and many others, as well as retaining jobs by helping fund and coordinate new strategic alliances like the Oil Sands Consortium (now the Thunder Bay Metal Fabricators Association), and a Business Retention and Expansion program for the small/medium size business in Thunder Bay.
Oct. 1994 to Feb. 1995 - Northwest Hydroelectric
Budgets and Reporting Coordinator
July 1990 to Oct. 1994 - Northwestern Region
Senior Budgeting and Reporting Analyst
January 1992 to June 1992 - Toronto
Budgets and Cost Analyst
March 1987 to July 1990 - Northwestern Region
KIMBERLY CLARK OF CANADA
September 1986 to March 1987 - Woodlands Operation Division - Longlac, Ontario
August 1985 to September 1986 - Pulp and Paper Division - Terrace Bay, Ontario
Assistant to the Manager of Internal Control and Financial Analysis
February 1985 to July 1985, Woodlands Operation Division - Longlac, Ontario
May 1984 to January 1985 - Woodlands Operation - Longlac, Ontario
September 1974 to September 1980, Thunder Bay, Ontario
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT, TASK FORCE AND COMMITTEE EXPERIENCE
Member of the Faculty of Business Advisory Board at Lakehead University
Board member of the Institute of Italian Studies at Lakehead University
Co-Chair of Business for the North Superior Workforce Planning Board
- Member of the Holy Name Society and Lector at St. Anthony Church.
- Past Director on the Community Economic Development Commission
Past Board member of Northwestern Ontario Development Network
- Past Co-Chair of Business (2002-04) and Director on the North of Superior Training Board
- Past President of the Da Vinci Centre and Chairman of the Public Relations Committee.
- Fourth Degree Member of the Knights of Columbus
- Past Member of the International Bus. Committees of the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce.
- Past Member of the Thunder Bay Regional Arts Council
- Past Board member of the Northwest-Midwest Alliance (representing the Chamber of Commerce).
- Past Vice Chair and board member of Development Thunder Bay
- Past committee member of the Fundraising Campaign for St. Joseph's Hospital.
- Past committee member of the Magnus Theatre Capital Campaign Advisory Council.
- Past Board member of the Northwestern Ontario Technology Centre during 1996 and 1997.
- Past Chairman of the Downtown Cores Revitalization Advisory Committee, and Casino Committee.
- Past Board member of the Economic Development Corporation. Chairman of the Public Relation Committee and the Pasta Initiative Committee.
- Past Board member of the Community Auditorium, Heart of the Harbour Business Improvement Area and Task Force on Poverty.
- "Budget Process Review" Task Group - Regions Branch, Ontario Hydro.
- Survival Plan Task Group - Financial Review, Kimberly Clark of Canada.
- Social Services Department - Policy Study, City of Thunder Bay.
- Past Financial Officer of the Italian Society of Port Arthur, and Vice-Chairman of the Public Relations Committee.
- Past director and founding member of the Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association and Chairman of the Planning Committee.
- Past Treasurer of the National Congress of Italian Canadians, Thunder Bay District.
- Ontario ’s Economic Development Network Professional Development Workshop Series “The Theory and Real World Practice of Economic Impact Analysis”
- Excellent experience in facilitating workshops and seminars; funding applications; liaison with various levels of government; computer and communication skills
- Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ontario Region: Economic Development Programs - Third Party Assessment Processes
- Continuous Improvement training both in the private and public sectors
- Consulting Training including Risk Assessment and Change Management
- Society of Management Accountants’ professional development programs.
- Sessional Lecturer - Financial Accounting, Lakehead University
- Instructor – International Business, Confederation College
INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Hobbies: following the stock market, reading, martial arts, and public speaking
- Member of Thunder Bay Toastmasters International Club for 13 years
- Founding President of Ontario Hydro (Thunder Bay) TRILLIUM Investment Club
- Member of National Karate Association - (1st Degree Black Belt)
- While in Terrace Bay started own Karate club and taught a class of 25 people of all ages
- Member of Lakehead University Business Association. In October 1983 was founding President of a debating club, which by the end of the scholastic year had sent a team in a debating competition at the United Nations in New York.